Sunshield: Best Face Sun Protection for Endurance Athletes
In this article :
Written by Ian Michael Crumm and Franz Skincare
For athletes who spend countless hours training and competing outdoors, the need for the best face sun protection is paramount. Exposure to the sun's harmful UV rays poses significant risks to an athlete's skin, including sunburn, premature aging, and an increased risk of skin cancer. In fact, at least one study found that outdoor athletes may be exposed to as much as 700% more UV radiation than normal.
Traditional sunscreen may not offer the durable coverage these athletes need. That's where Franz NAKED SunShield Patch comes into play, offering long-lasting, effective, comfortable skin protection. “It’s a wildly thin UPF layer that sits on top of the skin to provide all-day sun protection,” says Ian Michael Crumm, a celebrity esthetician who works with athletes on skincare and sun protection.
Let’s explore the science and beauty behind NAKED SunShield and why it's a game-changer for those who push their limits under the sun.
What Sports are at Risk?
“The short answer is, any outdoor sport increases exposure to UV radiation and therefore increases the risk of skin damage and skin cancer,” according to Ian. “I tell all my clients that #ProtectedSkinWins, all year-round.” Water sports like surfing have been shown to further magnify the risk of skin cancer. But even winter sports like skiing can be an issue, because snow can reflect up to 80% of the sun’s harmful rays, making it an almost “double exposure”.
Truly, sun protection is essential 360 days a year, and especially for individuals participating in a wide range of outdoor sports and activities, including but not limited to:
- Outdoor endurance sports such as running, cycling, and triathlons.
- Water sports like surfing.
- Team sports such as soccer and football.
- Racquet sports like tennis or pickleball.
- Adventure sports such as hiking, rock climbing, and kayaking.
- Beach sports and recreational beach time.
- Winter sports, where snow reflects UV rays, like skiing and snowboarding.
What Athletes Need In Effective Sun Protection
We asked Ian Michael Crumm what he hears from his client-athletes:
“Athletes can’t afford to have products running into their eyes from sweating. NAKED SunShield is a great solution, and creates peace of mind for the eye and cheek areas in particular, since reapplying sunscreen can be tedious and often forgotten.”
- Endurance athletes need sun protection that can keep up with their long training sessions.
- NAKED SunShield does not need to be re-applied, ensuring you stay protected without any hassle
- When you’re done in the sun, it’s easily peeled off.
Superior UV protection
- NAKED SunShield protects the skin from 98.1% of UVA and 99.9% of UVB rays – providing all-day UPF 50+ grade protection.
- That’s the same level of protection as premier sun fabric.
- It significantly reduces the risks of sunburn, premature aging, and even skin cancer, allowing athletes to focus on their performance without worrying about sun damage.
Effortless and comfortable
- NAKED SunShield Patch makes sun protection a breeze for endurance athletes.
- It’s an ultra-thin, transparent layer that seamlessly adheres to your skin, ensuring complete coverage without feeling heavy or greasy like tradition sunscreen.
- For most users, after the first few minutes, you’ll forget it’s even there.
Sweat- and water-resistant
- A top complaint of regular sunscreen is that it stings the eyes when athletes sweat.
- NAKED SunShield’s patch can’t run into your eyes, and it’s been tested for water-resistance. Whether you're cycling, running, or swimming, NAKED SunShield has you covered.
In the world of endurance and outdoor sports, sun protection isn’t a luxury; it’s a necessity. Franz NAKED SunShield Patch offers a solution that's both effective and comfortable, ensuring that athletes can focus on what they do best without worrying about the sun's harmful rays.