Best Ways to Enjoy Valentine's Day On Your Own
In this time of social distancing, it’s a great year to spend Valentine’s Day with your constant companion: YOU! So, call up your single friends and tell them you’re marking off February 14th for an evening of self-love. Share this with them: your guide to the perfect self-care Valentine’s Day celebrating you!
Set the Mood
First things first: remove distractions. No matter what you choose to do on Valentine’s Day, you should feel ready to relax. Consider turning your phone on “do not disturb” or leaving it in another room. Get any important chores out of the way first thing in the morning so they’re not weighing on you through the day. Set up an environment that meets your mood, which could mean turning on music, setting lighting that makes you comfortable, wearing your favorite cozy outfit, or lighting candles or incense.
We love reason to indulge in a wonderful evening of skincare. This is a great excuse to pull out all the stops of skincare. Layer the Stem Cell Culture Medium Ampoule under your favorite FRANZ face mask (try the Premium Microcurrent Facial Dual Mask or the SAINT 21 Gold Microcurrent Facial Dual Mask) for 6x deeper healing and hydration. After 20-25 minutes of masking, be sure to finish off your routine with your favorite serum (like Everyday Essence Face Serum or 101 Volumizing Anti-Aging Face Serum) and finish off with our Rose Quartz Moisturizing Face Cream.
For a full skincare routine from head to toe, check out our blog: Your Step by Step Skincare for Valentine’s Date Night.
Build Your Own Bouquet
Valentine’s Day is a wonderful excuse to buy yourself flowers. If you are looking to flex your creative muscle, consider creating a flower arrangement just for you. Head to your local grocery store or florist and build yourself a beautiful, great smelling, and calming bouquet. Trying adding these flowers to your personalized arrangement:
- Lavender. Not only is a delicate pop of purple to your arrangement but it’s aroma is soothing and calming.
- Gerberas & Chrysanthemums. Besides coming in a variety of colors, these flowers are actually an air purifier, making them a lovely option for bouquet.
- Eucalyptus. Along with a modern, romantic shade of green for your bouquet, Eucalyptus is known for releasing congestion, clear the sinuses, relax your system and freshen the air around it.
- Jasmine. Known to improve sleep quality, this is an excellent choice for your arrangement.
Meditate and Journal
A day of self-love is a great day to look inward. Create a quiet, safe space to meditate and reflect. Light candles or diffuse essential oils. Try an app like Calm for meditation and mindfulness. Spend some time journaling, writing a poem or short story, or creating in some other way. Here are some journal prompts perfect for the day:
- What act of kindness have you shown yourself recently?
- What makes you feel powerful?
- What can you do today that you didn’t think you could do a year ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago?
- What boundaries have felt firm and what boundaries do you need to put in place to take care of yourself?
- Create a list of things you love about yourself.
- Write a letter to your past self or future partner.
Create Something for Yourself
Creating something for the sake of creativity can be both soothing and productive, doesn’t matter whether it’s something you’ve been doing for a long time, or want to break out of your comfort zone and try something new. You could try playing with watercolors, doodling mindlessly, embroidering an item of clothing to make it feel new, molding clay or pottery or even simply enjoying a coloring book. There are exciting virtual classes you could take to get some guidance like painting with red wine or creating espadrilles with teachers based in Barcelona.
Joyfully Move Your Body
If you love working out, it’s a great day to do your favorite routine. It’s also a good day to step out of the usual and try something like swimming laps, yoga in the park, or rock climbing. If you’d rather not work out on your day off, try listening to a podcast while you take a long meditative walk. If you’re in the mood for something upbeat, try a virtual dance class like these:
- Belly Dance For Beginners
- Tango Lesson Where Passion and Fun Meet
- Flamenco Class & Party with a Spanish Dancer
- Sip 'n' Step Happy Hour
- Sweat It Out in a Bhangra Dance Class
- Cardio Dance with Drag Choreographer
Make a Dessert for One
Perhaps you’d like to end the evening with a decadent chocolate cake. We have a fantastic recipe for a small chocolate cake, the perfect serving size for one person. If you don’t have a tiny baking dish on hand, this cake can be made in an upcycled tuna can!
All the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg Pinch of salt Oil or butter for greasing
Combine the ingredients in a (very clean) tuna can and bake for 25-30 minutes at 350. You can find the full recipe from Bustle at Use This Genius Recipe To Make A Mini Chocolate Cake That Fits In The Palm Of Your Hand.
No matter how you celebrate, the most important aspect is that you focus on yourself and connect inwardly. Self-love should come more than one day a year, but we hope you’ll take the extra step to connect with yourself lovingly this Valentine’s Day.